Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Sacred Mother in Every Mother



I love these beautiful statues found in a little grotto at Solstice Canyon, Malibu. I was bummed that some malcontent had wacked-off Mary's head since the last time I visited. Who would do that? Geez. 

But still, Mary symbolizes for me the sacred beauty of the Divine Feminine and the sacredness of all mothers, the givers and sustainers of life. And this poor injured Mary is still lovely. Mothers don't need to be perfect, do they? 

You're going to think I am going all Catholic on you today - I'm about to quote a Pope - but I've been too busy to write a longer post (gasping for a breath around here!), and I've been wanting to post this photo for a while and found this quote from a book my husband bought me from the Metropolitan Museum of Art The Art of Motherhood. 

The mother - let us kneel! - the mysterious source of human life, in whom, nature once again receives the breath of God, creator of the immortal soul.                        
Pope Paul VI 

Ah, the beautiful, sacred mother. That's all of us mothers. So, while you are nourishing your family (read: making yet another meal), folding laundry, washing dishes, playing chauffeur, wiping bottoms and snotty noses, or wishing for just a moment of peace, take some time to stand tall and proud and fully realize the momentousness of your bringing forth life.

Early humans used to think this was pretty damn important - the ability of women to birth the next generation. Early statues were of female forms often with big breasts and bellies. Really. I was reminded of this little fact at the Page Museum and the La Brea Tar Pits today as I went through the historical timeline of extinction.  Guess the reverence for moms went extinct, too. Sad.

But, listen Sister, I'm here to remind you that you are simply incredible - you goddess, you! I kneel to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment